The Punjab and Haryana high court on Tuesday directed the deputy commissioners (DCs) of Gurgaon and Faridabad to issue notices against those who have made constructions within 300 metre around the Indian air force ammunition depot Gurgaon and 100 metre around the air forces station in Faridabad.
The DCs has been asked to issue notices asking the encroachers to remove constructions to avoid any action from the administration.
While issuing these orders, division bench headed by Justice SS Saron has also asked the central government to issue notification to designate both the DCs of Gurgaon and Faridabad as Collectors under the Works of Defence Act 1903 empowering them to take action accordingly.
The directions to issue notice has come after the centre had agreed to reduce restricted zone around ammunition depot Gurgaon from 900 to 300 metres, if the state government undertakes to vacate the encroachments within 300 meter area.
On September 7, the central government had submitted before the HC that the restricted zone around ammunition depot of Indian air force Gurgaon has been decided to be decreased from 900 to 300 metres. Centre, however, had made it clear that the area of restricted zone around air force station Faridabad shall remain 100 metres only.
The matter had reached before the Punjab and Haryana high court through a public interest litigation (PIL) filed by one Suresh Goyal of Faridabad seeking removal of constructions from 100-metre area around Air Force Station, Dabua in Faridabad and construction within 900 metres around airforce station Gurgaon.
Following the intervention of HC, a six member committee of central and state government officers headed by additional secretary, union ministry of urban development, had suggested to reduce the restricted zone around airforce station Gurgaon.
The district administration has asked Maruti Udyog Ltd to submit land ownership documents of its plant located on the old Delhi-Gurgaon Road.
The information, according to officials in the administration, has been sought “urgently” from the car manufacturer as part of the exercise to survey installations within a 900-metre-radius of the IAF ammunition depot, an area classified as restricted but now home to thousands of families nevertheless.
Officials said portions of the plant come within that zone and the information had been sought to ascertain how much area it stands to lose even if the ambit of the restricted area is reduced from 900 metres to 300, as has been suggested by a committee appointed by the Punjab and Haryana high court.
The next court hearing is on February 9. “We have asked Maruti officials to submit information regarding ownership of land as some of its area falls within the restricted zone. Once we have that, we will know how much area the plant could lose in case the high court directs us to reduce the restricted area to 300 metres,” said a senior district official.
A spokesperson for Maruti said, “We have responded to the state authorities with the requested documents.”
The administration is hoping for an amicable solution. “All the district heads feel that even if the area is reduced to 300 metres, around 634 acres of land will have to be acquired, apart from paying a compensation of Rs 3,500 crore to those residents who will have to be relocated. This is a huge figure, and therefore, not workable. We hope the high court orders that the ammunition depot be shifted from its present location,” said another official.
The district administration has decided to demolish all illegal constructions that have come up in the last two months in the restricted 900 metre IAF depot area. The demolition drive will be held after a satellite survey of the restricted zone is conducted to determine the number of new constructions.
Deputy commissioner Shekhar Vidhyarthi said after the survey, the results will be matched with those of the earlier survey and constructions that are found to have come up in the last two months will be demolished. For the demolition drive, police protection will be provided to MCG authorities, Vidhyarti said. In the past, demolition drives in the no-construction zone had to be called off as mobs resorted to stone pelting. Vidhyarthi also said vehicles found carrying construction material in the resticted zone would be challaned and impounded. “Night patrolling will also be intensified to check illegal activity,” he said.
Thank you Ankit for sharing this news with our readers.
A day after a high-level meeting was held between the district administration authorities and the Air Force officials to curb illegal construction in the 900 metre IAF depot, the municipal corporation authorities lodged a police complaint against two house owners and 20 construction workers, who were found undertaking construction in Sheetla Colony on Tuesday. A case been lodged against them in the Sector 5 police station.
In the meeting held on Monday, the deputy commissioner had ordered action to be taken against masons and carpenters who carry out construction work in the prohibited area, violating the Supreme Court and high court orders. According to officials, a raid was carried out after receiving information that new construction was taking place in the colony.
“In the raid that was assisted by the police department, two property owners and 20 construction workers were arrested on the spot. Three vehicles supplying construction material were also confiscated. We have to do this else the court will press contempt of court charges against us. It has already said that the district administration will be held responsible if any new construction takes place anywhere in the 900 metre radius. We will be carrying out more such raids in the coming days,” said an official.
Thanks to Ankit Patel for bringing this news to our attention.